Original Vintage Standard Oil Co. Torch Light Icon Truck Stop Highway Sign
Size Of Torch On Stand : Dimensions: 23" x 52"
This Is The Torch Only With Genuine Milk Glass Flame Top
Own a rare piece of American History From 1910 . This rare piece of vintage and classic Americana is from a highway sign for one of Standard Oil's early truck stop filling stations.
Original Standard Oil Co. Sign Circa 1910
Standard Oil Co. Inc. was an American oil producing, transporting, refining, and marketing company. Established in 1870 as a corporation in Ohio, it was the largest oil refiner in the world. Its controversial history as one of the world's first and largest multinational corporations ended in 1911, when the United States Supreme Court ruled that Standard Oil was an illegal monopoly.
John D. Rockefeller was a founder, chairman and major shareholder. With the dissolution of the Standard Oil trust into 33 smaller companies, Rockefeller became the richest man in the world. Standard Oil (Indiana) was formed in 1889 by John D. Rockefeller as part of the Standard Oil trust. In 1910, with the rise in popularity of the automobile, Indiana Standard decided to specialize in providing gasoline to consumers. In 1911, the year it became independent from the Standard Oil trust, the company sold 88% of the gasoline and kerosene sold in the Midwest.
In 1912 it opened its first gas service station in Minneapolis, Minnesota. The Red Crown Regular and White Crown Premium (later Gold Crown Super Premium) gasolines were marketed by parent company, Standard Oil (Indiana), in its prime marketing area in the Midwest.
A Share of Standard Oil Co. Circa 1870