Pontiac Dealership Neon Sign / Restored Neon
A rare original Pontiac dealership collectors porcelain & neon sign for the Pontiac Motor Company from the 1930s - 40s - 1950s. This vintage sign is a Walker & Co Detroit porcelain enamel sign with new neon lighting with 5 solid state transformers and a custom built rolling stand. We only straightened, reinforced and polished the porcelain steel panels, all the original wear and tear was left visible. The heavy duty wheeled stand is weighted and can be taken apart for easy hauling.
The vertical post is at a total height of 9 feet. The retro style curved sign features a cobalt background enamel finish with white letters. The antique sign reads "Pontiac" in white neon lights, while the top showcases the Pontiac Chief Head logo with yellow neon. The 9-feet by 5 1/2-feet by 15-inch Pontiac neon sign features a custom iron base that measures 5-feet around with a two step display base with two 6" steps with heavy duty rolling feet for portability. Wheels are mar proof and can be rolled on any finished floor. Scottsdale Art Factory vintage neon signs are genuine authentic memorabilia in original condition.
Condition - Original, added new neon made in the old hand era technique, for historic accuracy with new 11000 watt transformers and new neon glass.
More About The Porcelain Condition - Most of these signs have chips in the porcelain and there is no correct way to add new porcelain in a manor that would be consistent with a full museum quality restoration. Also in the investor collector world there are two schools of thought. One is consistent with ours that it is best and correct to display the wounds, bullet holes etc and age marks, chips etc. on porcelain signs. The other is to doctor with paint finishes to cover the true condition of the porcelain to make the sign show in pristine condition. This is like putting lipstick on a pig no matter what you do its still a pig. We feel the porcelain sign has much more value in its true condition than it does doctored. however if you are of the school of thought that your sign should be in pristine condition we offer to do this process at your request.
Antique Pontiac dealership sign for Pontiac Cars and Trucks from the Pontiac division of General Motor Company, founded in 1926 by General Motors Oakland. The vintage porcelain enamel sign was manufactured by Walker & Co sign company of Detroit. All new neon was adding to this vintage Pontiac sign using classic hand bending techniques, with a heavy duty cord UL listed. The custom neon sign base is hand crafted from solid wrought iron featuring diamond-plating for easy access to the base components. Movable wheels are added for portability all made in America hardware. In this vintage sign new neon addition we used VENTEX brand transformers, which are a state of the art, lighter, safer power supply that is built with a solid state technology. UL tested and approved for outdoor usage. Included on this neon sign are four 11,000 volt transformers. Standard 110 plug. This sign was also designed to lift apart if needed for easy transporting.
Vintage Sign Specifications:
- Type - Double Sided Porcelain Enamel with Neon
- Company - General Motors Corporation
- Product - Pontiac
- Era - Early 1900s
- Color - Red, White and Blue
- Dimensions - Sign: 72" Width x 45" Height x 12" Depth - Base: 5' Diameter - Total Height: 100 3/4"
- Condition - Original, as-is, see photos for details - not restored, and not a reproduction
Collectables, American Restorations and Vintage Memorabilia information:
All vintage signs, antiques and collectables offered are genuine memorabilia and appreciable assets, not fake reproductions. All items are fine collectable art at the highest world class collector level. Contact us to order vintage Americana, antique signs, old gas pumps, and classic collectables at 1-800-292-0008.
Vintage Signs, Antiques and Collectables
Due to our earned reputation, we have the good fortune to be in high demand by collectors. We always have a waiting list for most items. We suggest if you are looking for a specific collectable, please ask to be placed on our first-come, first-served list. (Refundable deposit required.) Call us at 1-800-292-0008.
Pontiac - Company History
Pontiac was an American automobile brand established in 1926 as a companion make for General Motors' Oakland. Quickly overtaking its parent in popularity, it supplanted the Oakland brand entirely by 1933 and, for most of its life, became a companion make for Chevrolet. Pontiac was sold in the United States, Canada, and Mexico by General Motors (GM). Pontiac was marketed as the performance division of General Motors for many years, specializing in mainstream performance vehicles. Pontiac was relatively more popular in Canada, where for much of its history it was marketed as a low-priced vehicle.
On April 27, 2009, amid ongoing financial problems and restructuring efforts, GM announced it would discontinue the Pontiac brand by the end of 2010 and focus on four core brands in North America: Chevrolet, Buick, Cadillac and GMC. The last Pontiac's were built in December 2009.
Pontiac started in 1893 as "The Pontiac Buggy Company". The Pontiac Spring and Wagon Works was incorporated in July 1899 by Albert G. North and Harry G. Hamilton. By 1905 they had taken over the manufacturing of the Rapid Truck (from the Rapid Motor Vehicle Co.) that had been introduced two years earlier. In 1907 they decided to produce an automobile.
The first Pontiac Spring and Wagon Works automobile, simply named "The Pontiac" was introduced that fall by the Pontiac Spring & Wagon Works. It was a high wheeler weighing 1,000 pounds (450 kg) and powered by a two-cylinder water-cooled 12 hp (8.9 kW) engine. A prototype was displayed in October 1907 at an exhibition sponsored by the Carriage Dealers' Association in New York City's Grand Central Palace. In December of the same year several of the new Pontiac's were exhibited at the Chicago Automobile Show. Well received by the press, the car featured final drive by double chain and a friction transmission. The wheelbase was 70 inches (1,800 mm), front wheels 38, with 40s in the rear, and solid rubber tires. The first deliveries were probably made in early 1908.
On Aug. 28, 1907, Edward M. Murphy incorporated the Oakland Motor Co. Murphy is said to have chosen the Oakland name for his automobile venture because the company was located in Oakland County, Michigan. Crosstown rival Pontiac Spring & Wagon Works already was making a high-wheel motor wagon under the name.
In January 1909, General Motors President William C. Durant purchased a 50% interest in the Oakland Motor Car Company. Later that year GM bought out the other 50% after the unexpected death of Edward M. Murphy at the age of 45.
While technically the first Pontiac Spring and Wagon Works' model was named after the city, such early use of the Pontiac name is really just a predecessor firm in the production history of the later make by General Motors.
Pontiac 1926–1942 - The Pontiac brand was introduced by General Motors in 1926 as the companion marque to GM's Oakland division. Within months of its introduction, Pontiac was outselling Oakland. As a result of Pontiac's rising sales, versus Oakland's declining sales, Pontiac became the only companion marque to survive its parent, with Oakland ceasing production in 1932.
Pontiac produced cars offering 40 hp (30 kW) 186.7 ci (3.1-liter) (3.25x3.75 in, 82.5x95mm) L-head straight 6-cylinder engines in the Pontiac Chief of 1927; its stroke was the shortest of any American car in the industry at the time. The Chief sold 39,000 units within six months of its appearance at the 1926 New York Auto Salon, hitting 76,742 at twelve months. The next year, it became the top-selling six in the U.S., ranking seventh in overall sales. By 1933, it had moved up to producing the least expensive cars available with straight eight-cylinder (inline eight) engines.
Logo and Trademarks - A Native American headdress was used as a logo until 1956. This was updated to the Native American red arrowhead design for 1957. The arrowhead logo is also known as the Dart.