Porcelain Signs Richfield
An original Richfield Hi-Octane porcelain sign, from the 1939-1964 for an old gas pump advertisement from Richfield Oil gas stations. The genuine gasoline sign is single sided white porcelain sign with a white, yellow and blue shield featuring an art deco bird on top, with "Richfield Hi-Octane" in blue along the bottom of this vintage gas pump sign.
Condition - Original, as is, see photos - not restored, and not a reproduction
Dimensions - 11 3/4" diameter
Rare vintage Americana gas sign for Richfield gas manufactured by the Richfield Oil Company 1901-1964, owned by Sinclair since 1937 and replaced by the Arco brandname in 1970.
This Richfield gas pump sign features a white porcelain round sign white a yellow outlined white 5-point shield on a dark blue background. There is a blue, white, and yellow art-deco (non-detailed) Richfield eagle flying left-to-right at top of shield, with the wording "RICHFIELD" in larger blue lettering across shield below center and above the smaller wording "HI-OCTANE" also in blue. The gas pump advertisement sign features four mounting holes for attachment to the gas pumps, one at the top, one at the bottom, and one on each side. This authentic vintage gas pump sign for Richfield Oil has not been restored, and is sold in original, as-is condition from Scottsdale Art Factory. Contact us to order vintage signs, antique gas pumps, and vintage Americana at 1-800-292-0008.
All gas station memorabilia offered are genuine collectables and appreciable assets, not a fake reproductions. All items are fine collectable art at the highest world class collector level.
Gas Pump Sign Specifications:
- Type: Porcelain Sign
- Company: Richfield Oil Company / Sinclair
- Product: Richfield Hi-Octane Gasoline
- Era: 1939-1964
- Color: Blue, yellow, and white
- Dimensions: 11.75" diameter
- Condition: Original, as-is, see photos for details
Collectable Signs and Vintage Restorations information:
Old Gas Signs and Collectable Automobilia
Due to our earned reputation, we have the good fortune to be in high demand by collectors. We always have a waiting list for most items. We suggest if you are looking for a specific collectable, please ask to be placed on our first-come, first-served list. (Refundable deposit required.) Call us at 1-800-292-0008.
Richfield Oil Corporation - Gas Company History
The Richfield Oil Corporation was founded in California in 1901 as a producer, refinery, and marketer of oil. They marketed in the west coast, with their first gas station in 1917. By the mid-1920s they had entered the east coast market as well. After a rapid acceleration their company fell on hard times during the Great Depression. Consolidated Oil Corporation (Sinclair) and Cities Service Company (Citgo) acquired the stocks for the company to keep it out the hands of Standard Oil. The east coast gas stations were later rebranded as Sinclair stations. Richfield retained their western division under Sinclair's Rio Grande marketing subsidiary. The west coast stations remained Richfield even after their merger with Atlantic Refining in 1966, however in 1970 all remaining Richfield gas stations were renamed with the ARCO brand.
Richfield Gas Station - Phoenix, Arizona - July 1939
After the bankruptcy in 1930, when Richfield was bought by Sinclair Oil, they divided operations in the East and West. The highly detailed eagle logo was used in the Western market advertisements, and the art-deco eagle logo was used for the Eastern markets after 1939 - both using the blue and yellow corporate color scheme.
In 1957 Richfield Oil Corporation discovered oil on the Kenai Peninsula of Alaska. They were the first to discover commercial quantities of oil in the State of Alaska. In 1966, when Atlantic Refining Company was in need of more oil reserves, they merged with Richfield and became ARCO (Atlantic Richfield Company).
Richfield Tower - 1929, Los Angeles, California
Richfield Tower, the Richfield Oil Company building headquarters in Los Angeles, California, featured a black and gold Art Deco facade to symbolize the "black gold" of Richfield's business. The 12-floor building was designed by Stiles O. Clements, stood 372 feet tall, and included a top tower of 130 feet the vertically lit up with the "Richfield" name. The tower lighting simulated an oil well gusher. The exterior sculptures was created by Armenian-American sculptor Haig Patigian. The building was demolished in 1969 to make way for the ARCO Plaza skyscraper, with only the elaborate black and gold elevator doors salvaged, which now reside in the new ARCO building lobby.