Professional Appraiser Credentials
Lisa Barnes - Professional Art Appraiser
The appraiser signed below, Lisa M. Barnes, holds herself out to the public as a professional appraiser of Fine Art and Decorative Art.
Thomas Charles Editions/Galleries & Richard Thomas Editions Galleries
Owner/Manager -- Arizona -- 1997-Present
(Carmel, Laguna Beach, and San Francisco, CA; Park City, UT; Anthem, AZ)
A fine art gallery and international publishing company. Responsible for marketing, and public relations.
Lisa M. Allen-Barnes & Associates, Inc.
Professional Fine Art Appraiser -- Full Time (see client list) -- Las Vegas, NV -- 1987-Present
Established a company offering consultation for planning, developing, appraising, curating, and managing public, private and corporate collections. Built ten major corporate art collections in New Zealand and twelve in Las Vegas. Worked as consultant to International Art Alliance - Largo, FL - in association with ARTnews.
National Mutual Life Association
Consultant -- 1987-1990
A $2 billion corporation with a National Touring Exhibition of New Zealand landscape Paintings. Initiated a national touring art exhibition for National Mutual Life Association, the first of its kind in the country. Sole responsibility for all aspects of the tour, including budges; public relations; selection of art; catalogue writing; and more. The exhibition continues to be mounted annually.
Consultant -- Denver, CO -- 1989-1990
An international art marketing company specializing in works of contemporary art.
Senior Art Consultant
Reported to the Executive Vice President and was responsible for all aspects of sales, marketing, advertising, public relations, customer service and appraisals. Company worked in association with Apple MacIntosh in creating a database system. As a senior staff member, met with venture capital companies to negotiate funding.
Administrative Director, Ikon Institute
Responsible for constituting a non-profit foundation associated with Artsearch.
Dunbar Sloane European Art, Ltd.
Consultant -- Wellington, New Zealand -- 1987-1988
International Art Investment Funds, a publically traded corporation. Assistant to the Director, took charge of international communications and production of annual report. In charge of all aspects of purchasing, sales, inventory, and cataloguing procedures.
Richard Gray Gallery
Assistant to Director -- Chicago, IL -- 1986-1987
Entrusted with maintenance of all gallery records. Key liaison with the media, collectors, museums, and consultants. Worked as Consultant on The Wexner Museum.
Art Law at NYU Course associated with AAA
USPAP (in association with AAA) Course and Exam Passed
New York City, NY - 2011
Southeastern School of Auctioneering
Greensville, SC - February 2009
Forensic Expert Witness Conference
Orange County, CA - 2007
International Society of Appraisers Core Courses
Correspondence - 2008
New York University - Continuing Appraisal Studies
Smithsonian - Collecting and Appraising Art
Washington, DC - 1994
Christie's - Identifying & Authenticating 19th & 20th Century prints and French & Italian Wines
London - 1985-1986
New Academy of Art - Studies in History from early Greek through contemporary. Research on the
Influence of Photography on 19th & 20th Century Art.
London - 1985-1986
American University of London - Studies in Print and Electronic Journalism.
Summer Session Ė 1986
British Institute - Courses on Renaissance Painting, Sculpture, and Italian Language.
Florence Italy, Summer session - 1985
Sotheby's - Studies in Architecture, Fine and Decorative Arts from early Greek times through
London, Winter Semester - 1985
Oxford University - General Studies in association with the School for International Training
Oxford, Autumn Semester - 1984
Institute Catholique, The Louvre and Jeu de Paume - Studies in Neoclassical Painting through Post-
Impressionists, Philosophy and Theatre.
Autumn Semester - 1983
Pine Manor College and Harvard University - Liberal Arts Studies focusing on Literature and French.
Cambridge, MA - 1982-1983
Indiana University - Graduate Studies in Journalism and Art Appraisals
Bloomington, IN - 1981 and 1990-Present
New Trier High School
Winnetka, IL - 1978-1982
Appraisers Association Of America, 1991-2001-2011
USPAP Certified American Society of Appraisers, 2011-2013
Smithsonian Institute, July 1991
Course on Fine and Decorative Arts and Connoisseurship
Annual Conference for the American Appraisers Association, November 1990
General concerns and practices in appraising works of art and art law.
National Conference American Society of Appraisers, Las Vegas, NV 1992
American Society of Appraisers, Successfully passed Principles of Valuation course, Numbers 201-203
Annual Forensic Expert Witness Summit, March 2006
Public Speaking Conference, December 2007
In association with Forensic Expert Witness Association and the CA Bar Association
Attended Federal AAA Conference November 2011
Memberships and Affiliations:
- Member, American Association of Appraisers (AAA)
- Member, International Foundation for Art Research (IFAR)
- Certified Member, International Fine Art Appraisers (IFAA)
- Member, Forensic Expert Witness Association
- Certified Member, Uniform Standards of Professional Appraisal Practice (USPAP)
- Member, Women in the Arts; Washington, DC
- Member, National Association of Auctioneers
- Member, Esperiate d'Rome, Italy - only American Member
- Strathmore's 2010 Who's Who in Business
Partial List of Clients (Appraisal/Expert Witness Services):
- U.S. Marshal's Office (Las Vegas, NV)
- Federal Bureau of Investigation (Phoenix, AZ)
- United States Attorney's Office (Phoenix, AZ)
- State Farm Insurance (Las Vegas, NV)
- Fireman's Fund Insurance (Las Vegas, NV)
- Allstate Insurance (Las Vegas, NV)
- United Parcel Service (Phoenix, AZ and Las Vegas, NV)
- Internal Revenue Service (Ogden, UT)
- Boca Raton Art Museum (Boca Raton, Florida)
- Bank of America, Trust Dept. (Las Vegas, NV)
- Wells Fargo Trust US (Arizona)
- Chubb Insurance (Emergency Restoration Specialist)
- Spence Family Foundation, Burger King (Chicago, IL)
- John Weltman, Attorney - Lawson & Weitzen LLP (Boston, MA)
- Salt River Project (Phoenix, AZ)
- Sonoran Desert Art Museum (Tucson, AZ)
- The Darlene Hammond Estate (Phoenix, AZ)
- Western Refinery
- Michelle McClure, Attorney - Landye Bennett Blumstein LLP (Portland, OR)
- Coleen Lowe, Attorney Ė Morris, Sullivan & Lemkul LLP (San Diego, CA)
- Estate of Owsley Brown-Frazier(Jack Daniels Estate)- Scottsdale, AZ
- Eva Pokorny-Czech Artist. Case settled due to appraisal provided by Ms. Barnes
Expert Witness and Appraisal/Consulting History:
- 12/03/2007- Case # 37-2007-00082935-cu-fr-ctl: Deposition in Phoenix, AZ for Superior Court of California in the county of San Diego; Unlimited Civil Karen Backstrom
- 12/04/2008- Maricopa County Superior Court case expert for James Tinker in Phoenix, AZ
- 05/09/2011- Scott Buckley Weltman Law Firm, Boston MA Insurance
- 03/15/2012- Roy Warden Tucson ATT Noah Van Amburg
- 09/2012- Current Pending Litigation/ Deposition; Adelson Vs. Chubb
- 02/2013- Settled out of court in my clientís favor; Scott Hatch Albuquerque NM, Federal Court
- 02/15/13- Tampa Ė Eva Porknoy - Expert witness settled in my clients favor.
- Over 24 years of fine art appraisal experience and consulting.
- Advanced knowledge of conservation and restoration of fine art
- History of consulting with Getty Institute and numerous independent restorations
- Unisys New Zealand Corporate Art Catalogue, 1988
- National Mutual Life Association Catalogue for Touring Exhibition, 1988
- National Mutual Life Association Catalogue for the National Touring Exhibition, 1989
- "Picasso Caper" 1995-1996, Reprint 2004
- "Art is for All: A Brief Look at Art Collecting Through the Ages", Chubb Collectors, Summer 2008
- Currently writing the forward on an Artistís work who is based in Rome Italy March 2013
- Foothills Focus (Arizona); April 2005, June 2006
- Fort Worth Star (Texas); August 20, 1990
- Colorado Business Magazine; March 1990
- Icon Magazine (Colorado); November 1989
- Christ Church Press; November 1988
- Auckland Star (New Zealand); November 1988
- Home & Building (New Zealand); August 1988
- Wellington Newspaper (New Zealand); February 11, 1988
- Spanish, Italian, and French Ė fluent in reading and comprehension.
Back to Appraiser's Report