Antique Gas Pumps Texaco G&B T-176 Pump
This is a genuine Gilbert & Barker Visible Gas Pump model T-176 ten gallon hand pump from about 1918 that has been completely restored to museum quality. All parts on this antique gas pump are original, historically correct, and in full working order. All brass parts on this restored antique gas pump are solid polished original brass. This old gas pump features the rare - collector preferred "Milk Glass" gas globe - an original milk glass globe from the 1920s era for Texaco gasoline. The automobilia signs on this antique Gilbarco visible gas pump restoration are porcelain enamel advertisement signs from the same era (no fake foreign made parts or reproduction signs used). All internal parts have been polished and rebuilt to full working order. Contact Scottsdale Art Factory to order your antique gas pump restored to this level of expert master craftsmanship - available in any color scheme and gas station branding - call 1-800-292-0008.
Order Your Gas Pump Restored To Historically Correct Museum Quality
All antique gas pumps, vintage memorabilia, automobilia, and petroliana available from Scottsdale Art Factory are real collectable appreciable assets, not fake reproductions. All new items are hand crafted in the same hand and materials as it was done in its era "When Things Were Made in America to Last Forever". If we say "Restored" we mean complete restoration to its original production offering in its era. If we say "Restormod" we mean exact copy with some improved modifications or customizations. All items are collectable fine art at the highest world class collector level.
Restored Vintage Gas Pumps Available in Any Color & Gas Station Brands
Restored Vintage Gas Pump - Specifications:
- Gas Company - Texaco (globe c.1920s)
- Make/Model - Gilbert & Barker T-176 10-Gallon Visible Pump
- Era - 1918-1920s
- Color - Red, white, black, and green
- Height - 101 3/4" (without globe)
- Base Diameter - 20"
- Condition - Antique/Restored museum quality and historical correct
- Notable Features:
Original milk glass globe light with two Texaco milk glass advertising inserts. G&B double action piston hand pump model with glass 10 gallon tank.
Gilbert & Barker T-176 Visible Gas Pump
This is an original Gilbert & Barker T-176 Visible Gas Pump, circa 1918-1920s. This antique gas pump is the improved sight measure nozzle control visible pump T-176 model that features the progressive method of delivery, semaphore signal ("To Car" or "To Storage"), G&B double action piston pumping unit with genuine solid brass antique padlock, and accurate measure with two sets of quality markers inside the 10 gallon glass cylinder.
Vintage Gas Pump Restorations by Scottsdale Art Factory - Museum Quality
- All brass parts are solid polished original brass
- Rare collectors preferred original "Milk Glass" globe
- All sign-age is correct porcelain original era material (no fake foreign made parts or signs used)
- All internals have been polished and rebuilt
- Pump is in working order
- Backed by a century of fine craftsmanship since 1913
We are the oldest and largest restorer of fine art, museum quality, historically correct antiques and supplier of genuine investment quality un-restored classic Americana (namely signs). Museum Quality Historically Correct means a world class restoration that preserves all original signs, badges, glass with anomalies, natural aged patina, ect. with non structural damage. All age wear and tear is proudly displayed, when possible, on signage and gas pump globes. Contact the Art Factory for information on restoring your antique gas pumps at 1-800-292-0008.
American Restoration of Antique Automobilia
From Original Sales Literature
Gilbert and Barker Manufacturing Company
Pumps and Tanks for the Oil Trade
Gilbert & Barker T-176 Sight Measure Nozzle Control Visible Pump
Progressive Method of Delivery -- The T-176 pump is designed for the progressive method of gasoline delivery in which the operator starts with a full bowl and drains from it the quantity needed to fill the car tank. If five gallons have been served and the operator sees that the tank will hold two more, he can quickly drain the extra two without refilling the bowl. This "progressive method of delivery" saves time and makes it easier to sell each motorist a full tank.
Semaphore Signal -- This is an exclusive feature of G&B visible pumps and an important on to you because it secures the confidence of your customers and is looked upon favorably by sealing authorities everywhere. The semaphore signal is displayed predominently at the side of the pump and indicates the direction of flow of gasoline - "To Car" or "To Storage." It is interlocked with the drain valve operating lever so that when the valve is open the signal points "To Storage." When the drain valve is closed, the arrow points "To Car." (Nozzle is locked inside pump at night affording protection for gasoline supply.)
Pumping Unit -- The heart of a visible pump is the pumping unit and thousands of users of these visible pumps concede that for speed of delivery, ease of opertion and long service without trouble, few pumps equal this G&B double-acting pumping unit. It delivers ten gallons with twelve and one-half strokes, and its operation is easier than most pumps. It is strongly built throughout, having driving lings and pins of hardened steel, which practically eliminate wear. A self-adjusting spring tension stuffing box through which the piston rod passes lessens the need for frequent attention at this point.
Lighting -- Bulb socket in dome cover just over bowl, lights up globe, and shines down through glass skylight into the bowl, brilliantly illuminating the gasoline.
Shell -- The pressed steel shell, ribbed for stiffness, provides ample space for displaying trade-marks and the proportions of the pump, its symmetry and dignified design combine to produce an attractive appearance.
Hose and Nozzle -- 10' length of 1" flexible, metallic, fabric covered hose and positive, quick closing nozzle are provided. At night nozzle is inserted inside the pump, and the door is closed and fastened.
Height Overall (less globe) 101 3/4"
Base 20" in diameter. 6 bolt holes in base casting.
Shipping Weight Approximately 380 pounds.
Texaco Gas Station Pumps - Historical Facts
Texaco ("The Texas Company") is the name of an American oil retail brand. It began as the Texas Fuel Company, founded in 1901 in Beaumont, Texas, by Joseph S. Cullinan, Thomas J. Donoghue, Walter Benona Sharp, and Arnold Schlaet upon the discovery of oil at Spindletop. In 1928, Texaco became the first U.S. oil company to sell its gasoline nationwide under one single brand name in all 48 states (50 states after Alaska and Hawaii joined the Union in 1959).
In 1931, Texaco purchased Indian Oil Company, based in Illinois. This expanded Texaco's refining and marketing base in the Midwest and also gave Texaco the rights to Indian's Havoline motor oil, which became a Texaco product. The next year, Texaco introduced Fire Chief gasoline nationwide, a motor fuel that meets the octane requirements for fire engines. It was promoted through a radio program over NBC hosted by Ed Wynn, called the Texaco Fire Chief.
In 1937 Texaco commissioned industrial designer Walter Dorwin Teague to develop a modern service station design. In 1938, Texaco introduced Sky Chief gasoline, a premium grade fuel developed from the ground up as a high-octane gasoline rather than just an ethylized regular product. In 1939, Texaco became one of the first oil companies to introduce a "Registered Rest Room" program to ensure that restroom facilities at all Texaco stations nationwide maintained a standard level of cleanliness to the motoring public.
In February of 2002 Chevron Corporation merged with Texaco and Shell. Shell began converting its Texaco stations to the Shell brand the next year. In July 2004, Chevron regained non-exclusive rights to the Texaco brand name in the U.S.