Vintage Service Station Patches and Hat
Classic Collection - Rare, investment quality, certified Americana for sale
Genuine original old gas station patches, and vintage service station hat. This solid oak locking shadowbox frame is 30" x 36" and includes over 70 American gas station sew-on patches. As a bonus, this collection includes an original vintage service station hat with a Texaco logo. As a surprise bonus, this classic Americana collection includes a rare Esso pin. Dimensions: 30" height x 36" height x 1 1/2" depth
Old Gas Station Patches Collection Include the Gas and Oil Companies
Amoco, Atlantic, Beacon, Carter, Chevron, Cities Service, Cosden, Crown, Dassel's, Douglas, El Paso, Esso, Fina, Flying A, Getty, Gilmore, Gulf, Handcock, Kendall, Leonard, Marathon, Minute Man, Phillips 66, Pure, Richfield, Seaside, Shamrock, Shell, Skelly, Sohio, Socony, Speedway 79, Standard, Sunoco, Texaco, Union 76, Utoco
Genuine American Vintage Collectable (not restored)
We guarantee these vintage patches to be correct as described and in the same condition as they were found. We do not restore or manufacture classic or antique artifacts. We certify correctness and grade, backed by our 100 year reputation. Learn more about our genuine vintage memorabilia guarantee.
Collectable Signs, Clocks, Gas Pumps and Vintage Americana
Learn more about our Genuine Vintage Collectables or if you have further questions, please call 1-800-292-0008.
Vintage Gas Station Hat and Pin
ESSO Oil and Gas Pin (1940s-60s):
The Oil Drop Man, the Esso mascot introduced during World War II, was designed by Danish artist Vilhelm Hansen and created to explain the petroleum shortages during the war. Originally used by Esso's Danish company, "Happy" as he became known, was incorporated into European advertising campaigns, and debuted in the US in 1958 for Standard Oil, the parent company of Esso. The Oil Drop Man and his "Happy Motoring" slogan died out in the 1960s when the Esso name was dropped, and the Humble Tiger started dominating the ad campaigns.
Texaco Gas Station Hat (1960s):
This is a Russell Fenn Uniform Company hat size 6 5/8. This visor style hat is made from 100% wool, with leather rim and visor. It has braided black rim on a khaki colored cap, with decorative metal trim, featuring a Texaco patch.
Gas Station History
Founded in Baltimore, Maryland in 1910 American Oil Company, AMOCO, was a kerosene refining and marketing business. Amoco-Gas, a gasoline-benzol blend was introduced in 1915. They partnered with Pan-Am in 1923 for crude oil supply. In 1925 Standard Oil bought controlling interest in Pam-Am. In 1933 Pam-Am bought out American Oil, but in 1954 Standard bought out the remaining interest from Pan-Am, and by 1956 the name Amoco replaced Pan-Am. The existing Amoco brand in Texas and the eastern states continued to use the red and black Amoco oval, but the Pan-Am states, western district, used to over Amoco torch logo similar to the Standard logo.
Atlantic (Richfield, Arco, Sinclair)
Founded in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1866, the Atlantic Refining Company was a gasoline production and refining company. Atlantic was owned by Standard Oil as of 1874, but with their breakup in 1911, Atlantic re-marketed themselves in 1915. In 1966 Atlantic and Richfield Oil Corporation of California merged their companies, with the Atlantic brand name used along the east coast, and Richfield name used in the west. They abondoned these brand names and became ARCO in 1969 when they merged with Sinclair. In the 1980s Atlantic brand name was reintroduced in the east, and eventually sold to Sunoco in 1988.
Carter (Standard, Grizzly and Litening, Enco)
Carter Oil Company of Tulsa, Oklahoma was a Standard Oil subsidiary brand name used to replace Grizzly and Litening in 1945. By 1950 all of Standard's western market was brought under the Carter brand name when it also replaced Oval-E. In 1961, the Enco brand replaced Carter.
Chevron (Standard Oil of California: Socal, Pacific Coast Oil)
Chevron originated as the gasoline line of Standard Gas Stations. Standard Oil Company of California, Socal, the largest marketer of gasoline on the West Coast, was founded back in 1879 as the original Pacific Coast Oil Company and based in San Francisco. They are credited for opening the first retail gas stations. The Chevron name was introduced by Standard in 1945 for their line of gasoline products, and independent dealers across the west were called Chevron Gas Stations. By 1977 all Standard gas stations had been renamed Chevron.
Cities Service (Citgo)
Founded in 1910 in Tulsa, Oklahoma, Cities Service was a public utility company supplying natural gas, lighting, etc. that ventured into petroleum in 1914. The refining and marketing company featured a black and white logo and operated gas stations throughout the Midwest and east coast by the mid-1930s. In 1946 they introduced the green and white service stations. By 1965 Citgo replaced the Cities Service logo with a complete brand remarketing. In the 1980s Venezuela purchased Citgo.
Originally a Houston, Texas based oil refinery, Crown Central Petroleum began oil exploration in 1917. By the 1920s they were marketing their high quality lubricant products. In 1930 they moved headquarters to Baltimore, Maryland and added retail service stations in 1933 along the east coast. They began direct retail marketing of their products in the 1960s, and after buying out Sunoco's "Fast Fare" chain of stores, began operating convenience stores in the 1980s.
Exxon (Esso, Enco, Humble)
Following the breakup of Standard Oil in 1911, the largest company that emerged was Standard Oil of New Jersey. In 1926 the brand Esso was created for their Ethyl grade gasoline, and by 1933 Esso was used to completely replaced the Standard name. Humble Oil and Refining, an independent company that Standard purchased in 1919, was the subsidiary for all marketing by 1959. They marketed the Esso brand name in the South and East, and used the new Enco name for their other regions. The other brand name used was Humble in Ohio. By 1972 the name Exxon was used, and replaced all three other brand names.
Fina (American Petrofina, PetrofinaSA in Belguim)
Based in Dallas, Texas and a subsidiary of PetrofinaSA Belgium, American Petrofina was created from multiple mergers and buyouts in 1956. Major takeovers included Panhandle Oil Company in 1956 and Cosden Petroleum in 1963.
Flying A (Getty, Tidewater, Associated Oil Company)
Associated Oil Company was founded in 1901 based in San Francisco, California. They started marketing gasoline in 1915. Flying A was introduced as the name of their premium grade gas in 1932. Flying A became the primary brand name for the company when Associated merged with Tidewater in 1938. They used the name Seaside as a secondary operation brand name until 1966.
Gargoyle (Gargoyle Mobil Oil, see Mobil)
Founded in 1866 the Vaccuum Oil Company was a lubricants manufacturer. Standard Oil purchased them in 1879 and sold the products under the Gargoyle and Gargoyle Mobil Oil brand names. They marketed their own products after the breakup of Standard in 1911, and in the late 1920s got into gasoline products under the Mobilgas brand name. In 1931 Vaccuum merged with Socony and Mobilgas became the company's primary brand in 1934 and the Socony shield logo was mated to Vaccuum's flying horse logo.
Gulf (Chevron, BP, Cumberland Farms)
Founded in 1901 the Gulf Oil Company is credited with building the first gas station "for that purpose" in 1913. They dominated the gasoline industry for 80 years by early marketing in the South and East. In the 1950s Gulf expanded their operations and had gas stations across the nation. Chevron purchased Gulf in 1984, and rebranded some of the Gulf stations to Chevron gas stations. Chevron sold the south-eastern stations to BP and the north-eastern stations to Cumberland Farms, who continue to use the Gulf brand name.
Founded in 1881 in Bradford, Pennsylvania, Kendall Refining was a manufacturer and refinery for oil lubricants. From 1922 to 1976 Kendall also supplied gasoline to stations in Pennsylvania and New York. They are a well established motor oil company, and introduced the first 2,000-mile motor oil that inspired the Two Finger logo. Kendall Motor Oil is owned by Phillips 66.
Marathon (Ohio Oil, Lincoln Oil, Linco, Riverside, Transcontinental)
Founded in 1887 as a crude oil produced, Ohio Oil Company was an oil exploration and production company based in Findlay, Ohio. They purchased Lincoln Oil Refinery Company in 1924. They used the Linco brand name until 1939. They purchased Transcontinental Oil in 1930 and acquired the Marathon brand name, which originated from the Riverside Oil Company of Pittsburgh previously acquired by Transcontinental.
Mobil (Socony, Magnolia Petroleum, see Gargoyle)
Standard Oil Company of New York, Socony, was founded in 1882 as the administrative divions of Standard Oil. In 1918 they purchased Magnolia Petroleum and General Petroleum in 1926, and restarted oil exploration after the breakup of Standard in 1911 left Socony without crude oil. When Socony partnered with Vaccuum Oil in 1931, they used Vaccuum's "Mobilgas" flying horse trademark. They replaced the Magnolia brand with Mobilgas in 1934, and by the end of WWII they expanded the Mobilgas brand name to all affiliated companies. They renamed the company in 1955 to Socony-Mobil, and Mobil Oil Company in 1966. In 1962 Mobilgas was replaced with Mobil as the brand.
Founded in 1917 by Frank Phillips, Phillips Petroleum Company was a production and refinery company in Bartlesville, Oklahoma that followed after brothers Frank and LE Phillips struck oil in 1905. In 1927 they entered the gasoline market and by 1930 had over 6,000 stations. In 1966, Phillips bought Tidewater's Flying A stations on the West Coast and were operating in forty-nine states. The following year they opened their first gas station in Alaska making them the second retailer behind Texaco to operate in all fifty states at the same time.
Pure (Union 76)
The Producers Oil Company was founded in 1891 in Oil City, Pennsylvania, and changed the name in 1895 to The Pure Oil Company. They entered the gasoline industry in 1914 and by the 1920s after mergers with other companies expanded their marketing region. They introduced their famous "cottage" style gas stations that influenced the design of competitor's stations. Pure Oil merged with Union Oil of California in 1965, and by 1970 Union 76 replaced the Pure brand name.
Richfield (Sinclair, Cities Service, Arco)
Founded in California in 1905, Richfield Oil Company was an oil producer, refiner, and marketer. They marketed their oil in 1915 on the West Coast, and by the mid-1920s entered the East Coast market as well. In 1933 Richfield's east coast stores were sold to Sinclair and Cities Service. In 1966, the remaining west coast market was merged with Atlantic Refining and became Atlantic Richfield. In 1970 the Richfield brand was replaced by Arco.
Seaside (Flying A, Phillips)
Seaside Oil Company was a oil refinery and marketer based in Santa Barbara, California. At the end of WWII they were purchased by Tidewater. The Seaside name remained a secondary brand of the Flying A gas stations until they were bought by Phillips in 1966. Phillips continued to use the Seaside name, but by 1970 the Phillips 66 name was used to replace all Seaside gas stations.
Shamrock (Diamond, Diamond Shamrock)
Founded in Armarillo, Texas in the 1930s Shamrock Oil and Gas Corporation was an oil marketer in the south. Shamrock merged with Diamond Alkali Company in 1967 to form Diamond Shamrock, Inc. based in San Antonio, Texas.
Speedway 79 (Marathon, Aurora Gasoline Company, Emro)
Aurora Gasoline Company was a refiner marketer based in Detroit, Michigan. In the 1930s they introduced the brand name Speedway 79. Marathon purchased Aurora in 1959 and the logo for Speedway 79 was redesigned. From 1962 to 1975 the Speedway brand was replaced Marathon. Speedway was reintroduced by the Emro in 1975.
Sources: wikipedia.org; retroplanet.com; Benjamin, Scott and Wayne Henderson. Gas Pump Globes. Osceola: Motorbooks International, 1993. Print.