Vintage Sign - Gulf Gasoline
An original GULF gas pump sign from the 1930s. Single sided, porcelain sign in orange, navy blue, and white Gulf logo color scheme.
Condition - Original, as is, see photos - not restored, not a reproduction sign
Dimensions - 12" diameter sign
Rare Americana old sign for Gulf gasoline manufactured by Gulf Oil of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania founded in 1901, closed in the 1980s.
This GULF gas pump sign features an orange round porcelain sign, outlined in navy and white, and font in navy blue "GULF" with white shadow (12" diameter). This highly collectible Gulf sign has not been restored, and is sold in original, as-is condition from Scottsdale Art Factory. Contact us to order vintage advertising signs, antique gas pumps, and classic Americana at 1-800-292-0008.
All vintage memorabilia offered is a genuine collectable and appreciable assets, not a fake reproduction. All items are fine collectable art at the highest world class collector level.
Vintage Advertising Sign Specifications:
- Type: Porcelain Sign
- Company: Gulf Oil
- Product: Gulf Gas
- Era: 1930s
- Color: Orange, navy blue, and white
- Dimensions: 12" diameter
- Condition: Original, as-is, see photos for details
Classic Restorations and Vintage Collectables information:
Collectable Vintage Signs
Due to our earned reputation, we have the good fortune to be in high demand by collectors. We always have a waiting list for most items. We suggest if you are looking for a specific collectable, please ask to be placed on our first-come, first-served list. (Refundable deposit required.) Call us at 1-800-292-0008.
Gulf Oil - Gas Company History
Gulf Oil was a major global oil company from the 1900s to the 1980s. The eighth-largest American manufacturing company in 1941 and the ninth-largest in 1979. The petroleum company was founded in 1901, they merged with Standard Oil of California 1985, and became a subsidiary of Cumberland Farms in 1993.
The business that became Gulf Oil started in 1901 with the discovery of oil at Spindletop near Beaumont, Texas. A group of investors came together to promote the development of a modern refinery at nearby Port Arthur to process the oil. The largest investor was William Larimer Mellon of the Pittsburgh Mellon banking family. Other investors included many of Mellon's Pennsylvania clients as well as some Texas wildcatters. Mellon Bank and Gulf Oil remained closely associated thereafter. The Gulf Oil Corporation itself was formed in 1907 through the amalgamation of a number of oil businesses, principally the J.M. Guffey Petroleum and Gulf Refining companies of Texas. The name of the company refers to the Gulf of Mexico where Beaumont lies.
Gulf promoted the concept of branded product sales by selling gasoline in containers and from pumps marked with a distinctive orange disc logo. A customer buying Gulf-branded gasoline could be assured of its quality and consistent standard. BP, Chevron, Cumberland Farms and other companies that acquired former Gulf operations continued to use the Gulf name through the early 1990s. This caused consumer confusion in the US retail market as the parent companies would not accept each other's credit cards. All former Gulf stations franchised by BP and Chevron in the United States have since been converted to those names.