Door Knocker - Iron Dragon Design
From Ancient Cultures to Arthurian Legend and Beyond
The dragon is a mythological creature with independent roots in many different cultures including those in Australia, China, and Europe. Scholars believe the dragon in folklore came from real-life animals like the Nile Crocodile in the Mediterranean, the Goanna of Australia, and the Komodo Dragon of southeast Indonesia. Dinosaur fossils may have also contributed to the myth as ancient civilizations unearthed bones with unknown origins.
Though tales of winged beasts and snake-like monsters were prevalent for thousands of years, the poem Beowulf is the first recorded instance of a distinctive fire-breathing dragon and dragon slayer. After that, the dragon became a symbol of power in England, used in family crests and appearing extensively in Arthurian legend. In the stories of King Arthur, Arthur's last name is Pendragon ("Dragon's Head") and he is associated with a Red Dragon (a symbol for Briton) that continually fights against a White Dragon (a symbol for the invading Saxons).
Today, a dragon is viewed as a symbol of strength and nobility, as well as a guardian for wealth and prosperity.
Custom Door Knockers
Each Dragon Door Knocker Is Made from Scratch to Make Each Door Unique - Just Like Your Home
Our custom Dragon Door Knocker is unique, never from a cast, and can be customize any way you like. Bring strength and nobility to your home and welcome each guest with a unique piece of ancient mythology.
- King Arthur. (n.d.) Timeless Myths. Retrieved from http://www.timelessmyths.com/arthurian/arthur.html
- Radford, Benjamin. (2014, December 10) Are Dragons Real? Facts About Dragons. Live Science. Retrieved from http://www.livescience.com/25559-dragons.html
- Stromberg, Joseph. (2012, January 23) Where Did Dragons Come From? Smithsonian Magazine. Retrieved from http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/where-did-dragons-come-from-23969126/
Built the old fashioned way
"when everything made in America was built to last forever"
and craftsmen were proud to sign their work.
Custom Wrought Iron Door Hardware by Scottsdale Art Factory
Scottsdale Art Factory, a handmade-in-America, custom iron door hardware manufacturer based in Scottsdale, Arizona, has designed and built some of the world's finest furnishings. We’re unique when it comes to creating furniture and hardware because we make everything by hand, right here in America, using carvers and blacksmiths trained in traditional techniques. Our clients include regular consumers, builders, interior designers, and architects as well as prominent and successful CEOs, leaders, and even royalty and celebrities looking for a unique piece for their homes. We’ve also crafted doors and furniture in historical designs to help with church and castle renovations.
Whether we’re crafting for a homeowner or a large design firm, we bring all of our clients the “WOW” factor they deserve. Our designs by H. J. Nick offer timeless elegance with full customization. You can make a statement with investment value furnishings to reflect your accomplishments, personality, and the personality of the environment surrounding each piece.
We provide custom door hardware in:
- Any size, shape, and theme
- A variety of metals
- Custom designs, hand carvings, etchings, and decorative accents
- More than 400 hand applied stains and finishes
- Learn more about our custom door hardware
Made in America for Commercial & Residential
Scottsdale Art Factory has been manufacturing custom door hardware, knockers, pulls, door handles, and other hand crafted furnishings since 1913, using only the highest quality materials and an all-American workforce. Our impeccable craftsmanship ensures your custom door hardware will stand the test of time. All handmade hardware and furnishings are Guaranteed Forever, backed by over a century of expertise. Call us to discuss your designs at 1-800-292-0008.
- Solid iron door hardware
- Hand rubbed, 10 process finish on all custom door handles and knockers
- Solid hand forged iron hardware - no hollow iron or fake castings
- Available in any metal types, stain and patina finishes
- Built in the original craft - never a reproduction
- Order any size or style door hardware,custom designed, for your residential or commercial space
- Original art and limited editions available
- All custom hardware for doors are guaranteed forever and backed by over a century of fine craftsmanship
More Custom Product Information