Interesting Historical Facts
Creamland Dairies, Inc. History Creamland Dairies, Inc. was formed in 1937 by a group of local farmers and businessmen who bought out the area’s oldest existing plant operated by the Albuquerque Dairy Association.
Under local ownership and management, the modest, newly formed dairy operated from the existing plant located at 321 Second Street NW in Albuquerque.
Nine years later, the dairy greatly expanded its facilities with the construction of a modern, million-dollar plant located at 1911 Second Street NW, which is still in use today. Considered a model plant, it utilized the newest and finest equipment and processing techniques available. Over the years, filling, processing and storage equipment and facilities have been enlarged and modernized to maintain Creamland's insistence on producing the highest quality dairy products.
In 1956, Creamland merged with the Darrow Ice Cream Company that had been a principle ice cream supplier to the state of New Mexico. The merger made possible the consolidation of the entire ice cream manufacturing operations at the plant located at Broadway and Coal SE in Albuquerque. Ongoing expansion and modernization resulted New Mexico's only major ice cream manufacturing plant. Keeping pace with New Mexico's growth during the 1950s, Creamland completed construction of a medium sized, modern and efficient fluid milk plant in Farmington in 1959.
In 1960, Creamland became a member of the Quality Chekd Dairy Products Association, a national non-profit organization of non-competing, independent dairies, each of which must meet rigid standards of quality, efficiency and business ethics.
During the early 1960s, Creamland also established New Mexico's first modern filtered air cottage cheese processing room at the Albuquerque milk plant and has supplied New Mexico and West Texas with cottage cheese and dips ever since.
In 1965, Bell Dairy Products of Lubbock, Texas and their associates acquired controlling interest in Creamland. The existing management was retained as were the established policies of modernization, efficiency and continued emphasis on guaranteed quality products.