An original Armstrong Tires sign from the 1950s for Armstrong Rhino Flex Tires. The genuine vintage advertisement sign is a double sided metal flange sign in the shape of a circle. The sign features a red background with the a white rhinoceros logo with black details on the top of the sign. The bottom portion of the sign features a black background with the words "ARMSTRONG" in white on top, "TIRES" in white on bottom with "Rhino-Flex" in red on a center white oval between the "Armstrong Tires" wording. "Stout Sign Co., St. Louis, MO." is printed in black on the flange of this vintage service station sign.
Condition - as is, see photos - not restored, and not a reproduction
Dimensions - 17 1/2" T x 17 1/2" W (2 1/4" W flange)
Rare vintage sign for Armstrong Rhino-Flex Tires manufactured by Armstrong Rubber Company founded in 1912 by George F. Armstrong in New Haven, Connecticut. The Armstrong company focused mainly on aftermarket sales, as apposed to the leading tire manufacturers whose primary sales was attributed to new cars, creating a new niche market where the company flourished. Unfortunately with the economic recession and gas shortages in the 1970s took a toll on the company and they declined rapidly. In 1983 the rebranded their company as Armtek Corp. In 1988 Italian tire maker Pirelli purchased Armstrong for $190 million, and they continue to sell Armstrong brand tires today.
All antique collectables offered are genuine memorabilia and appreciable assets, not fake reproductions. All items are fine collectable art at the highest world class collector level. Contact us to order vintage Americana, antique signs, old gas pumps, and classic collectables at 1-800-292-0008.
Vintage Sign Specifications:
- Type - Double sided sign - flange
- Company - Armstrong Rubber Company
- Product - Armstrong Rhino-Flex Tires
- Era - 1950s
- Color - Red, black, and white
- Dimensions - 17.5" Tall x 17.5" Wide (2.25" wide flange)
- Manufacturer - Stout Sign Co., St. Louis, Mo. (Made in the USA)
- Condition - Original, as-is, see photos for details
Signs, Collectables, Restorations and Vintage Memorabilia information:
Vintage Signs and Collectables
Due to our earned reputation, we have the good fortune to be in high demand by collectors. We always have a waiting list for most items. We suggest if you are looking for a specific collectable, please ask to be placed on our first-come, first-served list. (Refundable deposit required.) Call us at 1-800-292-0008.
Armstrong Tire Company - Interesting Historical Facts
The earliest tires were bands of iron (later steel), placed on wooden wheels, used on carts and wagons. The tire would be heated in a forge fire, placed over the wheel and quenched, causing the metal to contract and fit tightly on the wheel. A skilled worker, known as a wheelwright, carried out this work.
The outer ring served to "tie" the wheel segments together for use, providing also a wear-resistant surface to the perimeter of the wheel. The word "tire" thus emerged as a variant spelling to refer to the metal bands used to tie wheels.
The first practical pneumatic tire was made by Scottish inventor John Boyd Dunlop while working as a veterinarian in May Street, Belfast in 1887 for his son's bicycle, in an effort to prevent the headaches his son had while riding on rough roads (Dunlop's patent was later declared invalid because of prior art by fellow Scot Robert William Thomson).
Dunlop is credited with "realising rubber could withstand the wear and tear of being a tire while retaining its resilience". The development of this technology hinges on myriad engineering advances. In terms of materials, the vulcanization of natural rubber is credited to Charles Goodyear and Robert William Thomson. Synthetic rubbers were invented in the laboratories of Bayer in the 1920s. Today, over 1 billion tires are produced annually in over 400 tire factories.
Source: connecticuthistory.org, wikipedia.org